Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Getting Back to my Roots!

Thursday, Sept. 28th... We got up fairly early this day. Eway had to get up earlier because she had a driving lesson. It's crazy! Her instructor has her driving in traffic and he yells, screams, swears, and curses at her while she's driving. That's definitely driving under stress. I guess it's all preparation for driving in Shanghai! Another part of her training is to be able to drive a car between 2 laser beams with 2 inches of clearance on either side of the car. If she touches them, then she fails. Poor Eway she was so tired when she got home. She needed a shower and a nap after her lesson.

Eway and her parents take me to Zhu Jia Jiao. It's a very old place along the water. Eway's father's painting teacher lived here. We went to his place to visit.

It was built in the Ching dynasty over one hundred years ago.

One particular place reminded me of grandpa (Gung Gung) and grandma (Poa Poa). I couldn't hold back my tears.

The place reminded me of dad and what Gung gung and Poa poa had to go through as foreigners in a country that was unhospitable. Canada was not that friendly to my family not that long ago. Eway's parents were laughing at my crying. They understood the connection to my heritage hitting my heart.

Eway's dad arranged a boat ride for us to go down the river. It was really nice and again made me feel my heritage.

There were a lot of neat places to buy souveniers. While shopping, Eway's mom gave me a Chinese popsicle. It was frozen sugar cane juice with green beans in it. Interesting.

It was interesting to see the market place. How the people live. Little bit of cards.

And.... a little bit of Mah Jong. Those are Mah Jong tables.

Then Eway's parents dropped us off at an outlet mall. Very American. I was tired and we didn't buy anything.

We returned home to dinner and fresh crabs. Very tastey, but lots of hard work to get meat out. It took me forever to eat my crabs. We had two each. It was so good. We washed it down with plum wine. It was a very nice family day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home